Moving On

The original purpose behind The Fourteen Percent Ride has long since been fulfilled. So, I've decided that Mighty Proud will be the last posting. It just seems right.

But, don't worry. Or maybe you should. In any event, I plan to continue. I'll keep riding. And writing. Click here to come along in my new blog ~ The Long White Line. <-- check it out!

Thanks

As I've ridden for the last two years, I've picked up on the fact that Shirley, my darling wife, has been more worried about my safety than impressed with my "accomplishments." How do I know this? Well, when I'd come back and tell her, for example, that I'd hit 53.6 mph going down FO, she'd reply, "I don't want to hear it." Being the sensitive sort I figured out, after many such comments, that just maybe we were not on the same page here. But last week, she told me that she would "greatly reduce her focus on the 'fear for my safety' issue." We talked about the tour, looked at some maps, researched nutrition suggestions on the internet, and so on, just enjoying the idea of the ride. How nice is that? Thank you, Shirley!

Monday, January 14, 2008

X's and O's

The new trainer certainly provides the ultimate ride-and-get-nowhere experience, a faux ride as it were. Faux. Now there’s a puzzler. It looks like “fawks,” but sounds like “foh.” What is that all about? Were there surplus x’s floating around in the bayous of southern Louisiana, looking for a place to light? If so, why did they choose to attach to the “oh” words? Whatever, this French dipthong has gotten some press. For example, the LSU and New Orleans Saints football teams showcase this phonetic anomaly in their “Geaux Tigers!” and “Geaux Saints!” banners.

Where is this geauxing? X’s and O’s are football shorthand for game plans and I am in the processes of planning my 2008 riding. I didn’t quite make it to 5,000 miles in 2007, but that doesn’t mean I won’t aim higher this year. And, drum reauxll, here is the target...

2008 Geauxl :: 6,500 miles

And I will include the faux miles. With 172.7 miles already out of the way, I eauxnly have to get in 6,327.3 more in the next 352 days. Neaux sweat. Well, maybe that’s not exactly the case. There isn’t any wind with the stationary trainer meaning you can say goodbye to the cooling evaporation provided by the combination of perspiration, breeze and fancy jersey materials. But you can ride the trainer in any weather and the road conditions are always perfect. Let it sneaux, let it sneaux, let it sneaux!

The Trek on the CycleOps Trainer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oaux, you are soaux funny.

Anonymous said...

Greauxn!!!!!