Moving On

The original purpose behind The Fourteen Percent Ride has long since been fulfilled. So, I've decided that Mighty Proud will be the last posting. It just seems right.

But, don't worry. Or maybe you should. In any event, I plan to continue. I'll keep riding. And writing. Click here to come along in my new blog ~ The Long White Line. <-- check it out!

Thanks

As I've ridden for the last two years, I've picked up on the fact that Shirley, my darling wife, has been more worried about my safety than impressed with my "accomplishments." How do I know this? Well, when I'd come back and tell her, for example, that I'd hit 53.6 mph going down FO, she'd reply, "I don't want to hear it." Being the sensitive sort I figured out, after many such comments, that just maybe we were not on the same page here. But last week, she told me that she would "greatly reduce her focus on the 'fear for my safety' issue." We talked about the tour, looked at some maps, researched nutrition suggestions on the internet, and so on, just enjoying the idea of the ride. How nice is that? Thank you, Shirley!

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Another Moving Experience

A few years ago, I said that I had helped a daughter move for the last time. This weekend, we helped family move from Illinois to Minnesota. THIS was the last time! And I mean it! Unless, of course, one of the girls needs help for their next move. Oh, well.

Many thanks to Joe and John for helping load the truck here on Saturday. This is when we finally got all of daughter #2’s stuff out of the crawl space and started to put all of our stuff in its place. Natural cycles at work. It was a good weekend and we enjoyed the time spent with daughters, sons in law and grandsons. Son-in-law #2's parents and his sister and her boyfriend did much driving (Tom drove the truck) and hauling, too. On Saturday evening we all descended on a Chipotle’s, taking over an entire section to enjoy a meal and to relax after what had been a very eventful weekend.

Biking? Well, I unloaded two bikes from the truck. And, Monday I took off on a 56 mile, 5 climb ride. It was hot, but all-in-all a great day to be out on the roads. Three rides since last Tuesday, for a total of 120.6 miles and 7,109 feet of climbing. I’m now up to 3,869.4 miles for the year. Only 1,130.6 miles to go to get to the 5,000 mile target!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed seeing you, too! And I know Hilary appreciated the help.


I suppose you're taking a week and a half off biking AGAIN now, right? For good reason, I suppose. Have a good trip!