Moving On

The original purpose behind The Fourteen Percent Ride has long since been fulfilled. So, I've decided that Mighty Proud will be the last posting. It just seems right.

But, don't worry. Or maybe you should. In any event, I plan to continue. I'll keep riding. And writing. Click here to come along in my new blog ~ The Long White Line. <-- check it out!

Thanks

As I've ridden for the last two years, I've picked up on the fact that Shirley, my darling wife, has been more worried about my safety than impressed with my "accomplishments." How do I know this? Well, when I'd come back and tell her, for example, that I'd hit 53.6 mph going down FO, she'd reply, "I don't want to hear it." Being the sensitive sort I figured out, after many such comments, that just maybe we were not on the same page here. But last week, she told me that she would "greatly reduce her focus on the 'fear for my safety' issue." We talked about the tour, looked at some maps, researched nutrition suggestions on the internet, and so on, just enjoying the idea of the ride. How nice is that? Thank you, Shirley!

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again

Maybe this Texas theme will go too far. Maybe that ship has already sailed. Hey - a nautical theme, hmmmm....

Back at home and riding again. My Trek is still in the shop waiting for a replacement part for the replacement part that did not fit. Rode the old bike to Stoddard and back during lunch, getting more and more comfortable with the aero bars. This afternoon, I went down the river again, this time a few miles past Genoa, going by the fish hatchery and over the Bad Axe River. The rides were 21.5 and 41.1 miles, respectively.

Road kill report*: 19 small mammals (raccoons and opossums), two deer, one rather large snake. And about 14,000 small black gnats. And those were only the ones on the yellow part of my tri-color jersey.

Total ~ 963.8 miles

* I was responsible only for the demise of the gnats.

No comments: