Moving On

The original purpose behind The Fourteen Percent Ride has long since been fulfilled. So, I've decided that Mighty Proud will be the last posting. It just seems right.

But, don't worry. Or maybe you should. In any event, I plan to continue. I'll keep riding. And writing. Click here to come along in my new blog ~ The Long White Line. <-- check it out!


As I've ridden for the last two years, I've picked up on the fact that Shirley, my darling wife, has been more worried about my safety than impressed with my "accomplishments." How do I know this? Well, when I'd come back and tell her, for example, that I'd hit 53.6 mph going down FO, she'd reply, "I don't want to hear it." Being the sensitive sort I figured out, after many such comments, that just maybe we were not on the same page here. But last week, she told me that she would "greatly reduce her focus on the 'fear for my safety' issue." We talked about the tour, looked at some maps, researched nutrition suggestions on the internet, and so on, just enjoying the idea of the ride. How nice is that? Thank you, Shirley!

Monday, May 7, 2007

Texas Bound

I'm off to Tyler, Texas via Minneapolis and Dallas today. No, not on the bike. Was going to ride this morning early, but it was raining. Seemed like a good enough reason for me to not go out. Rain-riding should probably be part of the training though. Oh well, there will be other opportunities. I'll be in Texas (or on the way to or from) from about 11 a.m. today through the scheduled arrival in La Crosse on Wednesday at 11:05 p.m. With any luck, my Trek will be overhauled and ready for the last-month push to prepare for the real ride.

Bill made the comment Saturday that if the ride were next weekend, we'd be ready. Me? I'm happy that the ride is NOT next weekend.

Total ~ 901.2 miles

Lone Star Supplement
Listening to Orange Blossom Special on the iPod, reading Plum Island by Nelson DeMille helped the flight from Minneapolis to Dallas pass quickly. Arrived at DFW a little after 8 p.m. Or maybe we landed on the interstate south of Fort Worth. I won't say we were all that far from the terminal - there was, after all, only ONE line of low hills between where we landed and our gate. I thought the flight attendants were going to do another drink service.

After a stop at Denny's for a Cherry, Cherry Limeade and a BLT, we arrived in Tyler, the Rose Capital of the World by the way, at about 11:30 p.m. Oh, and the biggest flags I've ever seen, one the Texas state flag, the other the Stars and Stripes, were flying over two different car dealerships on the highway into Tyler.

No comments: